Running the VIC Model¶
- To download the latest VIC source code, proceed to the download page.
- The code is packaged in a compressed tar archive. Extract the contents via:
tar -xvzf filename
where `filename` = name of the file you downloaded, e.g. VIC_code_4.2.b.tar.gz
- Change directory, cd, to the source code directory (extracted from the compressed tar archive above)
- At the command prompt type:
- If this completes without errors, you will now see a file called
vicNlin this directory.
vicNlis the executable file for the model.
At the command prompt, type:
vicNl -g global_parameter_filename
global_parameter_filename = name of the global parameter file corresponding to your project.
If you'd like to capture VIC's screen output in a log file, you can do (in C-shell):
vicNl -g global_parameter_filename >& log.txt
global_parameter_filename name of the global parameter file corresponding to your project.
log.txt = name of a log file to contain VIC's screen output.
Other Command Line Options¶
VIC has a few other command line options:
vicNl -v: says which version of VIC this is
vicNl -h: prints a list of all the VIC command-line options
vicNl -o: prints a list of all of the current compile-time settings in this executable; to change these settings, you must edit
vicNl_def.hand recompile using
make clean; make.